Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

5 Year Old Words of Wisdom... episode 1

I have this amazing friend, Stacy, who has been acting as my nanny this entire summer while I have gone back to work. Stacy is, by definition, a survivor. She has overcome many obstacle throughout our short lives but just recently had another one thrown in her direction.

A move from Alaska back to Washington put a lot of strain on her relationship with her fiance (as it would any relationship) and just over a week ago, they decided to go their separate ways - for now.

Today, while I was at work my amazingly thoughtful son, Co, asked Stacy if she was alright... he must have noticed that she was looking a little sad. She tried to explain to him what heartbreak was and sadness and asked if he understood. His answer? "Yeah... I had a girl break up with me once...." Stacy replied with "Oh yeah? How did you get through it?" Cohen, "I don't know... I just did. I just did." This sweet little exchange of words brought a smile back to Stacy's face... I mean, who's heart wouldn't melt with that?

In the past two years, my son has watched me go through every emotion possible - with sadness being a huge one. As much as I would try to hide it from him, I have quickly come to realize, especially after today, that my own life experiences and the experiences that Cohen has witnessed have shaped him into a wonderful, caring, emotional human being. At five years old he already understands the emotions that us adults are constantly struggling with. He is becoming a man that I will be so proud of one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment