Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Holidays.

I'm sitting here staring at my Christmas tree, complete with lots of presents underneath it, and I can't help but be so thankful for my life and all I have in it. My life is far from perfect, but it's perfectly imperfect. I have two of probably the healthiest kids (knock on wood), I have my own personal health, a roof over my head, a comfortable lifestyle... There's just so much to be thankful for. This past week has definitely helped me to realize that.

Last weekend, my friend Amanda and I volunteered with HELP PORTRAIT, a non profit organization that provides family photos to the needy and homeless. In addition to free family photos, hair and make up is also provided. Amanda and I captured some wonderful candid moments in the hair and make up room and I even jumped in to help with the make up. One lady in particular has stayed in my thoughts since...

This particular woman was 41, homeless and pregnant. First of all, I cannot even begin to imagine what her life must truly be like and the things that she must endure every single day. I ended up doing her make up and Amanda even captured on camera the very moment that she looked in the mirror at her new self... tears in her eyes and all. I touched a life... a human being... even if it was just for those few minutes and even if it was something as superficial as making someone feel pretty, I helped to make her life better for those few minutes.

I don't know what happened to her or where she went after pictures that day. I pray to God that her and her unborn are safe and warm... One thing that I do know is it made me snuggle my kids a little extra that night, tuck them in to their beds extra warm and give them a few extra kisses.

None of us know what our future has laid out for us. I, for one, know all too well that life as you know it can change in an instant... but one thing that I do know is that I will raise my kids with compassion, love and an awareness of the world around them.

Happy Holidays. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment